Restaurant responsible for salmonella outbreak re-opens
Plain Nuts Catering & Deli in Covington, Georgia, was found responsible for a salmonella outbreak among participants at two events the restaurant had catered. The first event was held in Newton County on April 28 as a closed, invitation-only event and the second was held May 9 in Social Circle. Attendees at both events reported illnesses related to salmonella contamination. There were also reports of illnesses in late April by people who had not attended the event but who had consumed food prepared by the caterer.
After cooperating with authorities investigating the salmonella source and completing a thorough cleaning, Plain Nuts Catering & Deli has re-opened. After the illnesses were reported, the restaurant closed to allow time for a focused on-site training as well as screening of all full-time and part-time food service staff. The Newton County Health Department conducted a full investigation, including interviewing ill individuals, analyzing survey results completed by ill and well event attendees, and investigating the catering facility.
Salmonella contamination can result from inadequate or non-existent food safety procedures. Plain Nuts Catering & Deli followed the Health Department’s recommendations of conducting a full enhanced cleaning of the facility prior to re-opening. Environmental Health staff inspected the facility before re-opening to ensure all areas of the kitchen have been cleaned and disinfected in accordance with the Georgia Food Code and with the Environmental Health Department’s guidance.
Salmonellosis, the infection caused by salmonella bacteria, often results in acute gastroenteritis, an illness that usually results in diarrhea and/or vomiting due to severe inflammation of the stomach and intestines caused by the bacteria. Symptoms associated with salmonella contamination can be severe.
For more information about Plain Nuts Catering & Deli and about food poisoning due to salmonella, please contact the
food poisoning lawyers