Restaurant customers in Taylorsville, NC, ill from e. coli
Customers who ate chicken dishes at Mexico Viejo, a restaurant located in Alexander County, North Carolina, became very ill with apparent food poisoning. Restaurant customers who dined at the Mexican restaurant in Taylorsville on June 20 are thought to be victims of e. coli contamination.
The Alexander County Health Department confirmed that one diner had tested positive for e. coli. About 30 other customers became ill with symptoms of nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea within several hours of eating at the restaurant.
Health officials believe this to be an isolated incident, occurring only among customers who ate at the restaurant on June 20. No other illnesses have been reported. The restaurant remains open as environment health specialists are investigating. They are completing a thorough inspection of the facility and are working with the
State Communicable Disease Branch
and the State Environmental Health Division on the outbreak.
E coli can be spread through food safety issues in a restaurant. Although no cause has yet been determined in the case of e. coli contamination at Mexico Viejo in Taylorsville, NC, improper hygiene among those preparing the food and undercooked foods can potentially be the source of such an outbreak.
Symptoms of e. coli contamination can include diarrhea, fever, nausea, and stomach cramping. Sometimes, failure to obtain proper medical attention can result in life-threatening complications. Each year, approximately five to ten percent of people diagnosed with an E. coli infection experience hemolytic uremic syndrome (HUS), a deadly complication.
If you ate at the Mexico Viejo restaurant in Alexander County on June 20, please contact the
food poisoning lawyers
at 1-888-335-4901 to learn more about your legal options.